Military / Overseas

Nebraska residents currently living outside of the United States can register to vote and apply for early voting ballots at the same time by filling out a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

This application for early voting ballots would apply for all elections within the current calendar year. Applications should be sent to the Election Commission as soon as possible each year. Military and Overseas ballots will be mailed at least 45 days prior to each statewide election. If you feel that the 45 days will not be sufficient time to receive, vote and return your ballot by mail back to the Douglas County Election Commission, you may fill out the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website.

Voter Registration Applications cannot be accepted later than the third Friday before the election in question in order to vote in that election (if the voter registration application is sent by mail). (Nebraska Statutes § 32-939)

To learn more, you can visit the Secretary of State's military and overseas website.

Eligible voters include:

  • Members of the armed forces of the United States or the United States Merchant Marine, and their spouses and dependents residing with them
  • Citizens temporarily residing outside of the United States
  • Overseas citizens